Kalampaka is a city in the Prefecture of Trikala and the capital of the Municipality of Meteora. It is located in the northwestern part of the Thessalian plain. It is built next to the rare geological phenomenon of Meteora, while the river Pinios passes near it.
The Distance from Nei Pori Perias is 1 hour 52 minutes.
This Monastery is the first one you encounter as you enter Meteora.
The beginnings of monastic life on the rock of Anapafsas are placed in the 14th c. and the name of the monastery is probably due to an old owner.
The small chapel of Agios Antonios belongs to this phase, on the walls of which relics of frescoes are preserved.
The monastery was radically renovated in the first decade of the 16th century, when the metropolitan of Larissa, St. Dionysios the Merciful, and the exarch of Stagi, the monk Nikanoras, who are the owners of the monastery, erected the present katholikon, which was painted by the famous Sr. , in 1527.
The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron is the oldest and largest of the monasteries of Meteora. The monastery is believed to have been built just before the mid 14th century by a monk from Mount Athos named Saint Athanasios the Meteorite. He began the build with a church in dedication to the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary. He later added small cells so that monks could concentrate and live atop the rock formations. Monastery’s second name is, The Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration, which got its name from the second church St. Meteorites built. The successor of Saint Athanasios was Saint Joasaph, who continued to build more cells, a hospital, and renovated the churches atop the rocks. The Monastery thrived in the 16th century when it received many imperial and royal donations. At the time it had over three hundred monks living and worshipping within its cells. It is still a living monastery as there were three monks in residence as of 2015.
Rousanou Monastery is a Christian Orthodox monastery, located in Meteora. It is one of the six that continue to be active in Meteora, which since 1988 are included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The monastery occupies the entire plateau at the top of the rock where it is located. It has three floors, with the katholikon, the archontariki and cells on the ground floor, and cells and auxiliary spaces on the other floors.
The katholikon is a cruciform Mount Athos type church with a simple (narthex with a dome) hagiographed in 1560.
The Monastery of Barlaam or the Monastery of All Saints is a male monastery in Meteora, at the top of a cliff.
It is one of the six that continue to be active in Meteora, which since 1988 are included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The monastery was created in the early 16th century, but it was named after the ascetic Barlaam, who settled on the rock in the 14th century.
It is known for the important file it maintains. The monastery was organized by the brothers Nectarios and Theofanis, the so-called Apsarades, from Epirus at the beginning of the 16th century.
The Monastery of Agios Stefanos is a monastery in Meteora (Thessaly). It is one of the six that continue to be active in Meteora, which since 1988 are included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
It is located at the southern end of Meteora, above Kalambaka. The settlement of the monks on the rock of Agios Stefanos began at the end of the 12th century, when in 1191/2, according to tradition, the ascetic Jeremiah founded the monastery.
The monastery took its current form with the buildings built in the 18th and 19th century. Since 1961, a female fraternity has been leaving the monastery.